Weekend Breakfast

Friday, April 13, 2012

pancakes_web

Alden and I go through phases. When we were dating it was waffles. EVERY WEEKEND. The first appliance we ever bought was a waffle maker. Bought at a garage sale only after a few months of dating. Good thing we never had to decided who got to keep it!

Lately we've been into pancakes. Alden's sister Addie makes the most amazing pancakes. The consistency is a mix between a pancake and a crépe batter with a yummy tangy sour cream flavor that goes well with a drizzle of maple syrup. I finally got the recipe from her and we tried them out. DELISH. I know what we are going to make this weekend. What do you make for breakfast/brunch on the weekends?

This recipe comes from Smitten Kitchen

EDNA MAE'S SOUR CREAM PANCAKES

Adapted from The Pioneer Woman Cooks

Ree says this makes 12 4-inch pancakes; I got 8 that were closer to 5 inches

7 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/ 2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream (I swapped some with yogurt when I realized I was short, to no ill-effect)
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Butter
Maple syrup (or perhaps some Cranberry Syrup)

Heat a cast iron skillet or griddle over medium-low heat; you want it to slowly get nice and hot.

Stir the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt together in the bottom of a medium bowl. Dump the sour cream in on top and stir it together very gently; it’s okay to leave the texture a bit uneven. Whisk the eggs and vanilla in a separate bowl and stir them into the sour cream mixture, once again, being careful not to overmix.

Melt about a tablespoon of butter in your skillet or griddle and pour the batter in, a scant 1/4 cup at a time. Cook for about 2 minutes on the first side, or until bubbles appear all over the surface [See Pancakes 101 for this and other tips], flipping them carefully and cooking for about a minute on the other side. Repeat with remaining batter.

Serve in a stack, topped with a pat of butter and a cascade of maple syrup.

8 comments:

  1. I just have to tell you that it makes me feel happy when your blog shows up in my update column as being recently updated! And my favorite breakfast would have to be french toast or biscuits and gravy- both done my dad's style, of course ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised that your favorite breakfast isn't variation on pancakes ;) .... next time we do the Christmas party we need to watch that video.

      Delete
  2. This reminds me of a time when me and my husband ditched church with this other legit couple and made these exact same pancakes as part of a huge epic breakfast feast. It was awesome. What a weird coincidence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that is weird. I'm torn.... friends that make these pancakes would be legit but if they are trying to get you to ditch church... not so good. Looks like you have a tough decision to make ;)

      Delete
  3. Ha ha Ash this post reminds me of that SUPER weird breakfast party our roommate Melanie had in celebration of her diet being over! Ha ha random. As for me I am all about the savory breakfast. Bacon. eggs. hash- browns. Maybe some toast and I am always a sucker for hot coco :) Also I am moving back to Provo next month and if you and Alden ever decided to take that Provo vacation there is this amazing place for breakfast, that I know you would LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just realized that you're a Shaum!!! :) Did you know that I know your parents? your brother? That my mom went to school with your dad? (ricks college). maybe you knew this already... but i didnt. small world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks so good... i need to host a sunday brunch and have these on the menu!

    happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Heather... you are moving back to Provo?! You need to call me and give me a real update on your life. @Carolee... you were quite the legend in the BYU-I photography department so I knew of you from this and that but never actually got to meet you. I knew my parents knew you but I didn't realize that my dad went to school with your mom-small world! I am glad we finally got to connect online. I love all the work that you do. You are an amazing talent!

    ReplyDelete

The daily bucket All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger